Thursday, March 03, 2005

Atheism in decline?

Click below for the most unintentionally hilarious piece of pseudojournalism I've ever read. Contains gems like these:

John Updike's observation, "Among the repulsions of atheism for me has been is drastic uninterestingness as an intellectual position," appears to become common currency throughout much of the West.

I didn't realize "interestingness" was what made something true. And I think that what Updike means is that he doesn't have the intellectual curiosity or stamina to actually try and understand the world on scientific terms, so he resorts to the pathetic logic of a lazy high-schooler - "this class is boring!"

As British philosopher Anthony Flew, once as hard-nosed a humanist as any, mused when turning his back on his former belief: It is, for example, impossible for evolution to account for the fact than one single cell can carry more data than all the volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica put together.

I love it when philosophers try to act like they know anything about evolution. I love it even more when news organizations give them equal time with actual scientists. Oh, wait. In this article, there aren't any quotes from actual scientists.

This is my problem with the current religious climate. How is it that the seemingly-reasonable position of "I'll believe it when I see it" is ridiculed as preposterous?

Link

And for anyone who actually has some intellectual curiosity, here is a link to some truly intelligent folks, fighting the difficult fight against legions of self-satisfied pseudoscientists and philosphers and their dishonest quest for theocracy in America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker